Monday, August 24, 2009

I'll Kill You In My Dreams


Come on, we've all been there.  You go to sleep at night and are magically transported into a dream world where you, ruler of the free-world, single-handedly inflict a Mike-Tyson-like-ass-beating on your arch-enemy until, finally, it ends with their bloody annihilation.  I'm talking about the decapitated, mutilation and gutting of that person you hate most in life...

OK.  Maybe not everyone has been there...er, uh...hmmmm.

Well, the point is, when I listen to Heropschycodreamer (through my headphones), off of Live's Secret Samadhi album, it affects me.  Not exactly like that, but there are a few songs that do (more on those later).

Ed Kowalczyk, as is pretty common for him, puts together some intensely cryptic lyrics atop Patrick Dahlheimer's driving bass that take you on a dark journey through the psyche of a tormented spirit.  Marry that with some powerful guitar undertones from Chad Taylor and you get one bad-ass tune.

The song flow is a bit unpredictable as the lyrics provide transition in and out of sporadic hooks as it builds intensity.  Ed's voice is perfectly matched with the aggression and discomfort of the story told by the lyrics - however you choose to interpret them.



Heropsychodreamer Lyrics:

I'll kill you in my dreams
I turn the other cheek during the day
I'll kill you all

the subculture of my dreams
is waiting for me to fall asleep
I know you're scared, you should be
I know you're scared

Hero

this attic of my mind
these feelings i can't hide
I can't share
I feel alone, ah yeah
the subconscious keeps me here
I fell in love with a balladeer
I saw your tongue, it licked my heart
they called you queer

Hero
Dreamer
Hero

No comments:

Post a Comment